Journalist. Dance Writer. Dance Teacher.
Experienced Journalist, Dance Writer and Dance Teacher.
First Class Honours graduate of the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD).
Graduate of the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
Fully qualified graduate of a National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) fast-track diploma course.
Passion for dance and education demonstrated by editorial, pedagogical and professional endeavours.
Fully insured dance teacher – specialising in classical ballet – with level 3 safeguarding and first aid qualifications.
- First Class Honours graduate of the Royal Academy of Dance (July 2017).
- Featured in the Royal Academy of Dance 2017 social media campaign ‘Meet the Student’ (February 2017).
- Awarded an academic bursary by the Faculty of Education at the Royal Academy of Dance (July 2016).
- “Distinction” grade for the Royal Academy of Dance’s Diploma in Dance Education (July 2016).
- “Distinction” grade for the Royal Academy of Dances Certificate in Dance Education (July 2015).
- Selected as an English National Ballet ‘Dance is the Word’ writer (May 2014).
- Selected as an ‘Emerging Dance Writer’ for Cloud Dance Festival: Showtime (London, November 2013).
Dance Writer: Culture Whisper (www.culturewhisper.com)
January 2015 – Current
- Researching and writing previews of current and forthcoming dance productions.
- Researching and writing features.
- Liaising with press officers, event organisers and dance companies.
Writer: Ballet Papier (www.balletpapier.com)
May 2014 – Current
- Researching and writing stories for a ballet-themed decorative arts brand’s blog.
- English language consultant for select online and print marketing.
- Copywriter for passages used inside products in the stationery range.
Writer: Total MK (www.totalmk.co.uk)
April 2014 – Current
- Sourcing, researching and writing leisure and entertainment stories.
- Community News, Previews, Reviews, Features, Interviews.
- Dance and Theatre specialist.
Dancebox Studios, Milton Keynes.
January 2017 – Current
- Teaching dance students aged 2 years and up.
- Teaching BBO Dance Ballet syllabus – pre-syllabus, pre-primary, primary and grade classes.
- Devising and delivering non-syllabus, story-based, dance classes for children aged 2-4 years.
- Devising and delivering non-syllabus Junior School Jazz dance classes.
- Teaching Junior School Tap dance classes (BBO Dance Tap syllabus).
- Devising and delivering non-syllabus Ballet classes for Adults of all ages (Beginner/Improver/Advanced levels).
- Cover-teaching as required.
Platinum Dance Academy, Milton Keynes.
January 2016 – Current
- Devising introductory ballet class content suitable for students aged 5 years and up.
- Teaching classes which aim to enable freestyle dance students to experience how a ballet class is structured; establish and develop basic ballet technique; and inspire students to further their interests in, and understanding of, a new dance style.
The Rosemary Lane School of Ballet, Milton Keynes.
September 2014 – Current
- Devising and teaching content for regular non-syllabus classes, including pointe classes.
- Teaching students of all ages and abilities: from toddlers to adults, beginners to advanced.
- Teaching Royal Academy of Dance syllabus classes (pre-school levels, grades, vocational grades).
- Preparing and rehearsing students for examinations and performances.
Contributing Reporter: Johnston Press – Milton Keynes Citizen
July 2009 – Current
- A wide range of pieces published, in print and on the web.
- Front Page “Splash” pieces, page leads, fillers, news-in-brief, numerous bylines.
- Use of Content Management Systems (CMS), web uploading, SEO, social media.
- Responsible for sourcing, editing and writing content related to schools and education.
- Responsible for deputising for the Leisure Editor when required.
- News, Features, Reviews, Interviews, Online Content.
- Experience includes inquests, public events, demonstrations, school events, feature visits, theatre press calls.
Multi-skilled part-time colleague at ASDA Superstore, Milton Keynes
September 2005 – Current
- Joined the Milton Keynes store when it first opened as part of the original team.
- Customer-facing colleague. Role includes handling customer queries, replenishing stock, overseeing tasks in the warehouse.
- Trained in processes across departments.
- Trained First Aider.
- Trained Fire Warden.
Royal Academy of Dance
BA (Hons) Dance Education (achieved with First Class Honours)
Awarded July 2017
- Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) Faculty of Education / University of Bath (FHEQ Level 6)
Dance, Art and Education (Inc. Philosophical perspectives on the nature and function of the arts in education; Debates surrounding arguments concerning the meaning of “art”, “dance” and “education”; Arguments concerning the generic role of the arts within education and the particular educational contribution of dance; Common dichotomies such as education/training, theory/practice, mind/body.)
Dance and Older Learners (Exploring how older learners can benefit from participation in dance. Inc. Deconstructing stereotypes of older people in dance; Critical consideration of creative and artistic outcomes of participation; Health-related safe practice concerns.)
Ballet: its Diversity and Influence (Consideration of the influences on ballet’s worldwide growth and development during the twentieth and early twenty-first centuries, explored through the study of selected choreographers, dancers, artistic directors, teachers, scholars and critics. Areas examined required time to be invested in engaging critically and discursively with historical, political, social, cultural, financial and artistic circumstances which might impact on a ballet company’s identity and values.)
Dance in Higher Education (Philosophical and educational traditions, definitions and debates surrounding the nature of dance in Higher Education. Inc. Consideration of the tensions between dance in Higher Education as an academic discipline and as a preparation for entry into the profession.)
Dissertation (Thesis titled “Meet Me at the Barre: Community in the Ballet Class.” Educational research inspired by personal experience as a dance student and dance teacher.)
Royal Academy of Dance (September 2015 – July 2016)
Diploma of Higher Education: Dance Education (achieved with DISTINCTION)
- Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) Faculty of Education / University of Bath (FHEQ Level 5)
The Nature of Dance (Philosophical perspectives on the nature and function of dance.)
Perspectives on Learning and Teaching (Theories of pedagogy applied to dance.)
Safe Practice and Improving Performance (Inc. Physiological and Psychological factors in relation to dance performance and dance teaching practice.)
Perspectives on Music and Dance (Inc. Critical, Philosophical and Aesthetic concepts relevant to the study of music in dance; Musical aspects of selected repertoires, practices and dance forms; Implications of diverse analytical models of music and dance for dance practice, education and training.)
Dance in the Community (Inc. Considerations of dance as a participatory art form; Reflection upon how context can affect planning and delivery of dance activity; Notions of dance as a tool for social engagement, empowerment and enjoyment.)
Royal Academy of Dance (September 2014 – July 2015)
Certificate of Higher Education: Dance Education (achieved with DISTINCTION)
- Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) Faculty of Education / University of Bath (FHEQ Level 4)
Frameworks & Perspectives (Dance Analysis; Benesh Movement Notation; Labanotation.)
The Healthy Dancer (inc. Anatomy; Alignment; Conditioning; Injury; Nutrition; Safe Practice.)
Dance Education: Concepts and Contexts (Critical examination of pedagogy in different settings.)
Music in Dance and Dance Education (Inc. Music Theory; Role of Music; Musicality; Music & Dance.)
Dance Syllabi and Examinations (Reflection on Teacher’s Role; Training Methods; Ethical Practice.)
NCTJ Fast-Track (News Associates, Wimbledon, London) (September 2010 – February 2011)
Shorthand at 100 wpm (PASS)
Essential Media Law (A – 85)
Essential Public Affairs (A – 74)
Media Law Court Reporting (A – 86)
Multi Media Portfolio (A – 71)
Production Journalism (B – 62)
London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) (2007 – 2010)
BSc (Hons) Sociology (2:1)
Consistently high academic performance throughout (1st or 2:1 in every assessment).
Completed a Dissertation titled:
“Gender representation in practice and performance of classical ballet – reflection and contradiction of conventional gender norms.”
Contributed to The Beaver (the weekly newspaper of the LSE Students’ Union).
Secondary School (Denbigh School, Milton Keynes) (2001 – 2007)
4 A Levels:
- 3 x A (English Language & Literature, Sociology, Psychology).
- 1 x C (French).
- 4 x A* (Sociology, Humanities – top mark in the country -, English Language, Design Technology).
- 4 x A (Dance, French, German, English Literature).
- 3 x B (Double Science, Mathematics).
Vocational Qualifications (Dance) (1996 – 2009)
Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) Classical Ballet.
- Primary to Grade 8 with Distinction.
- ‘Advanced’ Level Vocational Qualifications (professional examination route; progression for teaching).
Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD) Jazz Dance and Modern Theatre Dance.
- Jazz Dance: Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards (“A” grades).
- Modern Theatre Dance syllabus examinations (“A” grades).
- Modern Theatre Dance ‘Intermediate’ Vocational Qualifications (professional examination route; progression for teaching).
Continuing Professional Development
Child Protection (July 2017)
Level 3 Certificate in Child Protection issued by EduCare
Acquired a thorough understanding of child protection by covering a breadth of topics relevant to anybody with a responsibility for safeguarding children and young people.
Achieved with 100%.
Level 3 course comprising nine modules:
– Child Development.
– Parenting and Risk Factors.
– Forms of Abuse.
– Other Harm.
– Responding to Abuse.
– Reporting Abuse and the Child Protection System.
– Learning from Failure.
– The Legal Framework.
– Working Together.
Nine CPD hours.
NSPCC Child Protection: an introduction (July 2017)
Introductory safeguarding course delivered by the NSPCC
A CPD certified, four-module e-learning course for everyone who works with children.
Understanding how to recognise, respond, report and record concerns about a child.
Green Cross First Aid Training (July 2015)
Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work (QCF) issued by Training Qualifications UK Ltd
Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge and understanding of theory related to coping with first aid emergencies in any environment.
Successfully applied effective first aid skills during practical exercises.
Content covered included: The Unconscious Casualty; Breathing Problems; Wounds & Bleeding; Bones, Muscle & Joint Injuries; Burns & Scalds; Poisoning; Medical Emergencies (anaphylaxis / angina / heart attack / asthma / epilepsy & seizures / fainting / diabetes / stroke).